2001 Emerald Mica

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 Emerald Mica

I bought this car in Huntsville, AL with the FFS already installed. The PO built the car to go to HPDE events, and then bought an Alfa Romeo project car and lost interest in the Miata. Since it was just going to be a track car for him, he treated it accordingly. I plan to daily drive this car and Autocross it. I may also try to get to some track days, though frankly I'm a bit scared to take my daily to the track.

My main goal currently is just to get the car in better condition for daily use. I started by swapping over the saddle interior from my '02 SE Miata, as well as the 3.90 LSD from the same car.

Now I'm chasing down some poor idle issues. I pulled the air filter and MAF and cleaned those, which helped a good bit. The car still will randomly bog down to about 500RPM before coming back up to 850/900. I plan to replace spark plugs and wires next, as the car sat a lot under the previous ownership. Both the boost gauge and the wideband are not working right now as well, so I need to track down those issues. They were working previously, so I suspect the problem is a simple wiring issue for the wideband, and I think the boost gauge's vacuum line is not correctly attached any more.

Here is a picture of the car at my first Autocross with it:
    2001 Emerald Mica-FF Supercharged
    Build Thread: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=634299
    2007 Brilliant Black GT

Which TB does it have? Stock, BBK or Power Products? BBK is obvious by the brass barb fitting sticking out the bottom.
    sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

Comment

To be honest, Tom, I'm not sure what exactly you're asking there. Here are some pics of the TB. Not sure if you can see what you're asking about in them or not.

I also discovered this line being broken as the cause for my boost gauge not working any more. Would the fitting that it plugs into just thread out?

2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

Is that hose broken or simply pulled out. Try cutting the end off and push it back in. Push in firmly to seat. Then tug on it. If it pulls out, you didn't push in far enough.
        sigpic

Comment

It was torn at the end, but I trimmed the torn portion and it pushed back in and locked in place. Thanks Tom!
          2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

Any time. Glad it worked.
            sigpic

Comment

So, back to that TB question. I'd love to know which one I have, and more about the different ones. I'll look more closely for the brass bushing to see if it's the BBK one.
              2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

TB is at the firewall end of the blower where the black hose connects. I would need some close up pictures back there. If you feel under the TB and there is a fitting mounted there it is a BBK. If not, it is a Power Products.
                sigpic

Comment

Finally remembered to check this weekend. There's a fitting coming off the TB. Guess that means it's a BBK.
                  2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

Yep. BBK.

When you get a chance, pull the big hose off of the TB and check the shaft at the small screws for signs of cracking.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tom @ Fast Forward View Post
                      Yep. BBK.

When you get a chance, pull the big hose off of the TB and check the shaft at the small screws for signs of cracking.
                      Just came back to this forum and saw this. Will check tonight if possible. I still haven't been able to track down the poor idle issues. The car will just randomly die at idle: any thoughts on what I may need to check for that? Seems to happen more often when cold, but still happens when the car has warmed up. I've been driving my (recently acquired) NC for the past month or so, until I can give the NB the attention it needs.
                      2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

You need to give the throttle stop screw a 1/4 turn clockwise. Then, after a day of driving, if it is better but not enough, give the screw another 1/4 turn. Howver, first check those screws on the throttle plate.

The throttle stop screw is located as shown in the attached. Your throttle stop screw will either be a 8mm hex screw or a 4mm Allen key set screw.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tom @ Fast Forward View Post
                          You need to give the throttle stop screw a 1/4 turn clockwise. Then, after a day of driving, if it is better but not enough, give the screw another 1/4 turn. Howver, first check those screws on the throttle plate.

The throttle stop screw is located as shown in the attached. Your throttle stop screw will either be a 8mm hex screw or a 4mm Allen key set screw.
                          Thank for the fast reply, Tom!

I'm a little confused: I'm pulling the hose that runs from the air filter to the TB off and checking the screws that hold the TB on to see if they are cracking? Or something in the SC itself?
                          2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

No. Pull the hose from the MAF off of the TB and look inside the TB at the plate and axle. The plate is secured to the axle with two very small screws. Look for cracks in the axle especially around the two screws.
                            sigpic

Comment

No cracks on the axle. Kind of a lot of oil just the other side of the TB in the SC, though.
                              2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

Working...
                              X