No announcement yet.

2001 Emerald Mica

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then just make the adjustment(s) I mentioned and it should be fine.
    sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

Comment

Tom, that fixed it! Thank you very much for the help. My NC has been getting ignored since I made that adjustment.
      2001 Emerald Mica-FF Supercharged
      Build Thread: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=634299
      2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

In the immortal words of Hannibal Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together". :-)
        sigpic

Comment

New question for you Tom. Now that it's getting cooler outside, I've noticed an interesting habit of my car. On cold start, it seems to be in a sort of "limp" mode - limited throttle response, engine seems to bog down easily, etc. After I apply approximately 50% throttle, I hear a click, and the car runs normally. once the coolant is warm (not all the way up to operating temp, but warm) I hear the same click and the car runs fine. Any thoughts on what might be doing that? You've been a wizard with every question I've had so far!
          2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

The 01-05 have VTCS, we remove that when we install our manifold. The Variable Tumble Control System is used ONLY for Cold Start. As soon as the water warms up a bit, something in the ECU switches VTCS off and allows the engine to run better. As we no longer have VTCS, that is not on or off (it is on the floor in your garage someplace) but the relay still works. I am sure that is what you hear click. it just doesn't do anything. However, in the ECU, some other thing is also happening that is allowing the engine to function correctly. I will guess that you are running synthetic oil. That will exacerbate the issue as it is slow to thin out and that slows down the VVT from functioning well with cold oil. In some respects it is a good thing because you should not be hammering on an engine with cold oil. Remember, your oil is minutes slower to get up to heat than your water.
            sigpic

Comment

Well that would do it! It does indeed sound like a relay clicking, and also I do use synthetic oil (Rotalla T6). I suppose this is something I'd know if I'd been the one to install the kit. I bought the car with the s/c already on it though.

I don't beat on the car when it's cold. I figure the VTCS clicking is a bare minimum for letting the car get warm. I usually try to wait for at least a few minutes after the coolant is up to temp according to the dash gauge. Need to add an oil temp gauge so that I have better info.

Thanks again for the great info!
              2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

Maybe someone will come along and explain to me why viscosity numbers on synthetic oil seem to function differently than the same numbers on Dinosaur oil? 10W30, for example is supposed to be 10 when cold and 30 when hot but seems to be just the opposite. As my oil warms up, my oil pressure goes down.
                sigpic

Comment

Tom, I've been thinking E85 thoughts recently. I know your car is Ethanol capable, but haven't been able to glean tons of info from your walkaround video. Do you have more info you can share? Happy to give you a call if it's easier to explain that way. I'd love to record that info for others too, as plenty of us are power-greedy monsters (why else would we be here?). Thanks!

Also, congrats on the update to the forum! looks great, and I was able to login much more easily than the old one (used to have to try 4 or 5 times with the correct password to get in).
                  2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

Around here we call those happy thoughts. :-) The answer is "it depends". It depends on how much HP you want to make. Up to about 240WHP, you can get away with a stock 1.8L engine. The key words there are "get away with". Obviously, a stronger built engine is better. Beyond that, a built engine is a must. Stronger rods and forged pistons are, in my opinion, needed for the added boost. You will need to replace the stock injectors with the 320cc injectors so that the ECU does not add too much LTFT to compensate for the added liquid requirement. It takes about 30% more liquid (fuel) to run E85 at the same HP as gasoline. Then the extra injector(s) will also add to the fuel. You would have to tell me how much power you want before I can tell you how much added ECool injectors are needed. I am currently at an estimated 350ish bhp (around 300whp) and I am running the 320cc mains and 1000cc pre-blower, and 1000cc and 550cc in the intake manifold. Here in Arizona we only have E54 these days as some politician decided we didn't need E85 anymore. As that requires a lot less flow than E85, I have over compensated but I am anticipating the need for finding E85 in the near future as I go for 400bhp. :-)

I also have the Intake cam from the 2004/2005 MazdaSpeed Miata as it has higher lift and longer duration. it is basically the same as the exhaust cam. Also my engine is ported and runs 1mm larger intake and exhaust valves. How much of that is needed, I really don't know but I seldom do anything half way. :-)

I also have the DW200 Deatschwerks fuel pump as it is specifically designed to work with Ethanol. The Walbro elastomers seem to not like Ethanol. I went through a couple Walbro pumps before switching to the DW. No problems ever since.

Ask away if you have any questions.
                    sigpic

Comment

Happy indeed!

My engine is stock internally, and I have a 5-speed, so 240 would probably be pushing the transmission as well. I'd like to do a forged internals build on my car at some point, but probably not in the cards for this year (my NC "needs" a 2.5 swap...). I may look to get a 6-speed in this year, though.

I'm looking to be around 230whp in current state, assuming to be currently near 190whp. My car has the normal MP62 kit on it. Sounds like the shopping list (so far) is: 320cc engine injectors, ethanol friendly fuel lines, and maybe different size preinjectors.

What about the tuning? I know you have a knob that you use to adjust your car based on A/F ratios - what all did you need to do for that? From what I've been able to research, no one has been able to get an FFS setup to run on a standalone, so installing a flex fuel sensor is out of the question at this time. Am I correct in that conclusion regarding a standalone?
                      2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

I am at 350ish and have the 5 speed and haven't blown it up, YET, I love the legs each gear has with the stock 5 speed and 3.636 diff gears. 100 MPH in 3rd is fun. Besides, 5 speeds are a dime a dozen and don't take too long to replace.

320cc main injectors, yes. All of the fuel lines that came with the kit are Ethanol friendly already. Nothing to change there. If you have the two injectors in the intake manifold, you are probably good for 240WHP. If you have the single injector pre-blower, we probably ought to up it to 1000cc.

I took that knob out a long time ago. It was not the right way to do it. We were running big main injectors at the time. The 320cc mains solve most of the problem as they correct for the needed extra flow for E85 but are not too big for use when on gasoline. People have made the kit run on standalones but with ZERO gain in power. Kind of a hard waste of good money. They also suffer from the inadequacy of pulsing the extra injectors each cylinder cycle. Once every time a cylinder calls for fuel so that there is even distribution of the fuel added with the extra injector(s). Even FM went back to the ECool card on the one they did with the Stand Alone. I am still running the stock 1990 ECU with the 99 engine and 320cc mains with the three extra injectors. I believe we are still running basically the stock files on the cards. I can't go back to gasoline without changing the pulleys as I am way to high in boost (~25psi) for gasoline. When I go back to a smaller pulley and make less boost, the cards correct pretty well and then simply a small adjustment on the cards. NO MORE KNOB. :-)
                        sigpic

Comment

I autocross, so 6-8 hard launches per event. I bet those would end a 5-speed pretty quickly at your power level!

I have two injectors in the intake manifold, so all good there.

Ill be hinest, Iím a bit relieved to hear thereís no reason for a standalone. I donít want to spend the cash on it! Rather buy tires or other go fast parts.

So the card(s) just need a revision, and the car can run on E85? And I could swap pulleys to up boost a bit as well?
                          2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

It is not more expensive or harder to install after you wear it out. I would still beat on it until it breaks.

No card revision needed. You may need to adjust the Boost-Fuel and ECool cards but the software is still good. Adjustments are made with the +/- buttons and the "mode" button.
                            sigpic

Comment

Fair enough!

Ok! And I think I've got some PDFs of how to tune the cards that I downloaded from this forum.

What size pulley would you estimate that I need to buy from you for that desired power level?

Man, this isn't going to be hard at all! Why aren't more people running ethanol in their cars?
                              2007 Brilliant Black GT

Comment

People don't run ethanol because it is sometimes a PITA to find. Arizona, for example, made it law that it is E54 (54% Ethanol) rather than E85. Remember too that your mileage will drop about 30%. For those of us who are power hungry, we don't give a hoot about gas mileage as long as it goes fast. :-)

I would guess the 120mm or 125mm would do it. At least they would make enough power to get you in trouble. Remember too that you can basically reduce timing retard to zero. At least 10-15whp there with those pulleys. Hard to make knock with E85.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X