EGR Removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR Removal

Been awhile since I posted anything ... on to a new project. I had relocated the air filter into the right front fender behind the fog light area some time ago. I have had issues at times with water when it rains getting into the MAF. This summer has been a slightly rainy one so I am in the process of moving the inlet back to the left side so I can get outside air with no water. Since DDM is just down the road I am using their crossover pipe setup. When I installed the kit I maintained the EGR setup but that is now an issue and will have to be removed. My question is do I just block off the EGR port at the manifold? And what do you do to keep from throwing codes when the connector is removed from the EGR valve?

Thanks
    2002 LS Black & Tan Olins**16x7" Enkei RPF-1**215/40-16 Toyo T1R**Koyo 37mm Radiator**FFS Coldside 65/105**Innovate DL-32 & SSI-4**Speedhut Custom Dash, GCA3380-2 255lph Walboro Fuel Pump

The only way I know to not throw codes is to have the EGR connected to the system. However, it doesn't "know" if it is recycling exhaust gas into the intake manifold or just unmetered intake air. So what you can do is go ahead and block off the header, remove the EGR crossover pipe and install to barb fittings (have to thread the hole that was used for the EGR pipe) into the FFS EGR adapter. Mount the EGR anywhere you want. Connect a 3/8" hose to the fitting that used to connect to the EGR pipe and tee into the breather hose from the valve cover. Connect a 3/8" hose to the other fitting and connect it to hose going from the TB adapter to the PCV. And of course, reconnect the electrical connecter to the EGR. Wallah! Now you have an EGR that is fully functional except that it is bringing in fresh air instead. I you want to run exhaust gas instead it is possible but you would need a flexible heat resistant exhaust grade hose. Probably would be easier to do the fresh air method.

Comment

Thank you for the informaion. Assumed it wasn't going to be easy! The fresh air method is how I will go.
      2002 LS Black & Tan Olins**16x7" Enkei RPF-1**215/40-16 Toyo T1R**Koyo 37mm Radiator**FFS Coldside 65/105**Innovate DL-32 & SSI-4**Speedhut Custom Dash, GCA3380-2 255lph Walboro Fuel Pump

Comment

You may also need the new EGR bracket that makes it lay down more to make room for the hose.
        sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

Comment

Can you direct me to a picture/drawing of that bracket? Right at the moment I'm looking at relocating the EGR and running just air through it to keep CL's under control.

Comment

Went to the web site and can see what has been done. Cost & availability?

Thanks!

Comment

Too many to post here. Email me and I will send them to you. I will post a couple here.
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

Done ... but what I see here is plenty.

Comment

Tom, my egr setup was left off completely.... I'm wanting to put something back to keep codes off. Was there a bracket that was supposed to come with the kit that I need to use, or are you saying make a bracket with the stock egr Assy. Below my throttle body, I have a plug, where I'm assuming the smaller pipe from the egr went. Will that still have to be connected? It seems I'm go unit to remove the crossover pipe, thread the hole in between the 2 mounting bolts, and install a male bard fitting. This fitting takes a 3/8 hose, which connects to the tee between the PVC, and the vacuum block.... Mine has has a 4 inch hose with a bolt in it. Seems I would take the bolt out and connect the hose to where the original crossover pipe connected on the egr, and then connect the pencil sized pipe from the egr Assy to the block on the bottom side of the throttle body.... Please advise.... I got it all apart, hopefully I can get it right tomm, or I'll have to put it all back together to go to work..... Thanks in advance for time.... Bill did install at ddm works in Greenville .

Comment

There is a bracket you will need to mount the EGR on. Then there is a small 1/4" stainless tube that goes from the bracket to the TB adaptor manifold. Your crossover tube from the exhaust header connects to that bracket as well.
                    sigpic

Comment

G'day,

I have aftermarket headers without an EGR port, and no EGR pipe. I also want to install an oil catch can.

I'm half way through installing the 2012 version of the FFS kit now, I just want to know if the plumbing I have drawn in the diagram is correct.

The following modifications have been made to the drawing in green:

- The PCV to TBA piping has been removed, and TBA port blocked off.
                      - The PCV is plumbed to the oil catch can
                      - The oil catch can is then plumbed to a tee in the valve cover breather hose
                      - The EGR piping is gone, and the EGR valve is plumbed to a tee in the valve cover breather hose

Is that the correct way to plumb it?

Comment

Are you running the two cam cover lines into the catch can and then running the outlet of the catch can to the IAC?

Are you running the catch can outlet to the EGR/PCV hose? If so, the intake will have unmetered air. All air needs to come from the MAF.

Not sure how it will react? Probably look like a vacuum leak and make for high STFT and high LTFT??
                        Last edited by Tom @ Fast Forward; 08-07-2018, 03:31 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

So far nothing is plumbed up

okay so if that's not right... can I put the catch can inline on the PCV to TBA hose?

Then for the EGR delete, do what FormerDatsun510Man said and put a hose from EGR valve and tee it into the valve cover breather hose?

View full size
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by .andy; 08-07-2018, 08:27 PM.

Comment

The problem is that all air entering the intake must come through the MAF. Not very legal here but you could run both sides of the cam cover to the catch can and simply vent it to the road (hose hanging down) and not feed the air into the intake.

EGR is a different case. If not fitted to the intake, you will likely get a CEL for EGR low flow as the diagnostics will never see it. That can be unmetered air as the ECU expects to see a small air flow (should actually be non-oxygen air from the exhaust with the oxygen already consumed) but it is so small and only occurs at cruise that it might not matter. Put a screen over the EGR inlet to keep debris out and take the outlet, now cold air, and feed it to the TB adapter manifold someplace. You could simply put a small barb in place of the normal EGR compression fitting. Again, not legal here.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X