Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when dropping throttle (WOT -> no T) there's a "bump" / brief surge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll bump those two, thanks.

Without removing the heat shield, and without a known-CA car to compare, it's hard to tell. This was sold in Kentucky, one of the first 99s, and I can't find a California sticker. The O2 sensor is just below the heat shield, and from what I've read the Cali version would be further down, behind that midpipe cat. So I think i'm clear. Existing literature is hard to sort out -- some of it says *all* 99s had both cats, some says just California, some says NY+CA had the same rules.

Either way, it'll be a one-cat car when I'm done.
    '99 + stock Coldside

Comment

Most likely it was not a CA car. They had a special sticker under the hood for 99-00. Your sticker should read 49 state. The CA version called out 50 state. Also, if you had the front cat, it is not easy to hide. :-) It is short and fat and seriously obvious.
      sigpic

1990 with FFS Coldside. At least 260 WHP NON-INTERCOOLED

Comment

I replaced the cat with a magnaflow, but lost the o2 port; we ran it for a little with the post-cat sensor in the air, and I think the ECU got confused. In closed loop at low RPM / low speed, it would get down into 12s (I didn't have an OBD reader running). We installed the bung + O2 sensor, cleared the P0140 code, and did more testing hot. The car idled well for about 10 minutes, then we took a test run with a live OBD reader. It took a few minutes / miles at ~ 50mph in cruise to get LTFT to settle down; it had been around 14.8% and sending occasionally rich mixture. After a bit LTFT settled down to -1% to 1% range, STFT was within 3%, and it was pretty normal 14.7 in closed loop mode.

Under hard acceleration in 2nd / 3rd / 4th, it seems to be doing the same as before: AFR drops to 10ish when boost peaks around 12#. If I roll on around 2k + roll off around 6k RPM, AFR will settle around 10.0, and as I roll off it can drop below 10 (to like 9.8 briefly). At lower boost it seems to pretty quickly drop into 12s. Unfortunately I don't have RPM hooked into my O2 sensor, so I don't have a great way to show both together.

The old / original cat looks OK, visually; I can see the mesh and light gets through it. I don't know a good way to test the silencer in the midpipe or the muffler, though.

Unless you have other suggestions, I'm gonna try to repeat the above testing with the muffler disconnected -- that may help me see if there's a problem downstream of the cat.

I have a new header in my garage, but I don't want to make too many changes until I figure out what's going on.
        '99 + stock Coldside

Comment

Turn down the yellow/blue on boost fuel card 1 light. From 6 to 5.

LTFT & STFT look great.
          sigpic

Comment

I will, thank you. I assume I should also make the recommended changes to the boost and Ecool card?

Boost Fuel
            G-B: Green = 4 , Blue = 8

Ecool
            G-B: Green = 4 , Blue = 8
            '99 + stock Coldside

Comment

(taking notes here for my own benefit)

Factory header, magnaflow cat, factory silencer, no muffler: 3rd from 2500 -> 6k+ RPM, AFR starts around 12.5 and levels out around 11-11.5 at peak boost / top RPM. When rolling off, AFR increases to ~10.5 briefly.

I'll let it cool down, will reconnect the muffler, and make the settings changes + another run.
              '99 + stock Coldside

Comment

the change:
                Turn down the yellow/blue on boost fuel card 1 light. From 6 to 5.
                test run: Factory header, magnaflow cat, factory silencer, factory muffler: third from 250->6k+ RPM, AFR starts around 13 and levels out around 11 at peak boost/RPM; will inconsistently dip to 10:1 briefly during spinup and after rolling off throttle.
                '99 + stock Coldside

Comment

Sounds about perfect.
                  sigpic

Comment

Numbers can be anything when you lift. Only numbers that are meaningful are at WOT.
                    sigpic

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the help! I've updated the numbers based on your recommendation. I'll get the new header in place and will check back in if I have further questions.
                      '99 + stock Coldside

Comment

Glad to help.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X